Park Life

Mark Leckey (Seen in Tate Britain)

Overlapping timeline

Dream English Kid is a video collage done by Mark Leckey. It is based on sources such as advertisements, tv shows and also reconstructions of certain scenes using props. The artist mentions them as found memories as he believed that large proportions of people are actually sharing same personal memories towards certain events or scenes and these could now be easily accessed online.

I find it clever to make connections with the audience through common memories that the artist has with other people. This helps to enhance the idea of "memory" and also allows other people to understand what's happening within the artists' mind. It was more like bringing out of a world of virtuality that existed in the past, where people share same memory and experience.

The relation I find from this piece with the park is that, the waterlow park is also somewhere that consist of shared memory and experience. Different people came, visited and used the park for similar purposes, and there's just a certain extent where their timeline has been overlapped with each other. 

The work brings me to thinking the park as a common space, and the research leads me to try bringing the marked sounds from different events and time sequence together into images for an animation video. In this way, I feel like it might be able to represent an overall atmosphere of the park, instead of the section that I was  personally involved in.

Elimination of Subjective Feelings of Observation

"Drawing 188" is one of the blind drawings that the artist Claude Heath did of his brother. Using a bluetag as a reference, the artist blind folds himself and feels the face as he draws what he felt onto the medium.

From the outcome, we can see there are lines colliding and merging with each other, this is because as the artist get used to the blind folding situation, the outlines gradually becomes close and closer to how it actually is visually. It's very interesting how the final outcome with all the lines appearing together forms a much more stable outcome than just the last round of drawing. It records the process of reaching to idealism and also the transformation of the artist's senses without visual intake. I think it is also very nice how the blind folding allows the artist to let his tactile sense to take over his hand and record, eliminating subjective constructions on the paper.

There are two things that the artist brought up that I might like to try in my work: to eliminate visual sense and also allowing changes to overlap. I think work on these methodology to create graphical lines that relate more to just the audio source.

Compulsory Passage A

Le Flaneur

Honestly, I was trying really hard but did not enjoy this text. The choice of vocabularies are quite difficult for an international student like me to understand, and I wasn't quite able to keep track of what the writer's actually trying to present.

From my limited understanding with english, I'm expecting it to be describing about "le flaneur", which was a word that the poet Baudelaire invented to describe an aimless observer.

The crowd is his element, as the air is that of birds and water of fishes. His passion and his profession are to become one flesh with the crowd. For the perfect flaneur, for the passionate spectator, it is an immense joy to set up house in the heart of the multitude, amid and ebb and flow of movement, in the midst of the fugitive and the infinite. To be away from home and yet to feel oneself everywhere at home; to see the world, to be at the centre of the world, and yet to remain hidden from the world…

This passage mentions Baudelaire's understanding towards le flaneur, where he/she calls upon methods to observe the urban metropolis. Such idea starts to build up due to the changing environment of the poet's age, which occurred during the industrial revolution. Rapid change of surrounding brings more possibilities in terms of the relation of the modernity and the spectator. The things a flaneur differs from how we observe the world; since the action is to wander without a purpose, intakes become "purer".

I'm assuming that the text is suppose make me think more about the approach to observe and consume the world when working on my projects. But since I had a really hard time understanding about it (I could get to this point at max, but only because we had a discussion during the class), it brought me to think about how I am able to improve on my english more than the content itself. If only I were to back up my data base for more jargons and words, I would be able to obtain more inspirations and ideas from sources out of art, e.g. philosophy.

The Difference within Time

Alter Bahnhof Video Walk, 2012 is a work done by Janet Cardiff and George Bures Miller. In this work, the persona holds the iPod, walks around city through following the instructions given by the audio of the video. In this 26mins, the artist pre-records evens occurring in the train station and brings the persona to the same location, same perspective but different occurring events of specific scenes.

The documentation of this experience some how shows a destruction of the sequential timeline. It demonstrates how time difference leads to diverging outcomes and also allowing the audience to be involved of events that do not exist at the exact moment.

For me, I find it interesting how the persona is able to grab scenes from both the screen and what he actually sees during the experience. The existence of both era breakdowns the concept of something doesn’t not exist after it past away. It's also really inspiring to see how the monologue within the guiding video is able to draw the audience to the “virtual” world that doesn’t exist anymore, and hence making them aware of whats within the world than what there is in the actual surrounding environment.

I think that the methodology used in the work is quite relatable to the concept for what i wanted to portray. This is because it questions the change of matter through time, and brings preserved event back to the present. In my latest project, I might want to consider about how to compare/combine the past and the present, and also possibly be how to disturb the regular chronological order of incidents.

Methods of Mark Making

Jeff Elrod created on a series of work implying digital and analogue techniques. The progress of making the artist’s work consists of 3 steps, drawing on canvas, editing with software and reprinting it on canvas. Drawings are converted into blurred outcomes with forms of cloud that’s out of focus, and through applying graphical line drawings using computer programs, very abstract pieces are made.

The artist is being inspired to work on his work through distancing it from his conscious mind, he came up with a technique he mentions as “frictionless drawing”, where the productions of colours and lines is not directly introverted by the artist’s hands. Through engaging more with his subconscious mind, Jeff Elrod seeks it as a digital breed of a automatic writing.

What I find interesting about the work is how transfers his outcomes to different medias for touch ups as he slowly creates the final piece. The sense of converting hand printed to digital and back to printed act as a form and destruction and resolidification of elements within the piece. While using this technique, unwanted/distracting elements would be gradually filtered out until a more solid focus is formed and displayed. Personally I think this is a very good strategy in sieving elements from sources and make good emphasis on the lines and forms created. In my project on capturing of sounds and time-based events for the park, I thought that it would be nice if i were to start of with mark making on paper, convert it into digital piece, reedit it and try something out with the projection of the outcome onto white backgrounds, or even photo shoots of the location that I recorded the sounds.

Primary Observation I (Taken by myself)

Initial Inspirations II

After visiting the Lauderdale house for some background information on the park, I was drawing into how the house was being refurnished through applying a new layer of materials on top of old bricks and pillars. The redecoration was able to keep the old pieces as well as maintaining the house to be function at the same time.

Another thing that's quite fascinating to know about the park is how the parks changes from a private space  to public recreational area. The transformation of the function not only shows a pasture of time, but also portrays how equality is gradually formed within the society. 

The history of the park reminds me of the Theseus paradox and enlightens me in terms of the philosophical side. I think I'll look deeper into the information related to the Theseus paradox first before moving onto other experimental works.

We've Rented Out Your Room

Donate Your Timeline (Click to see original video)

Symptoms of Alzheimer's Disease

"Donate Your Facebook Timeline" was an event created back in 2012 to show support for the Alzheimer's disease. It is designed as an app, where people could download it and allow it to run through their facebook profiles. The program would remove your friends, posts, liked pages or music from your profile, slowly once in a while, but eventually causing your profile to be in complete emptiness. The processing blanking out of life resembles the experience of an AD patient, having difficulties in grabbing on to one's own memories.

The video inspires me a lot in the way how helplessness and strong sense of fading memories is conveyed. The process of gradual remove gives me a feeling that it is something that naturally occurs and the persona himself/herself cannot take control of. This mood relates to what I wanted to convey in my Christmas project a lot, as it seems to stand as an emphasised situation of me not being able to recall the scenarios of my home, where I've been staying for more than 12 years, in just 3 months of isolation from it. I think for my experiments, I can try working on blanking images from old footages of my home, trying to portray how certain objects are "removed" from my mind.

I think how I relate my home sick to AD is also quite interesting. As it reminds me of how we often over exaggerate symptoms of our own experience, googles the problems and conclude ourselves to very dramatic situations. I think that this concept could also somehow be applied onto my works, as I would be focusing on how much I miss my "home", parents and friends in Hong Kong.

Devastated Identity

Rosanna Jones works with fashion photography. In her works, many actions, such as burning, tearing, bleaching and painting are involved. Through these methods, the subject of the photos are using obscured. Through creating positive and negative space, the artist hopes to evoke curiosity on identity.

I think that it's really smart how the artist removes the persona through extreme actions, this highlights the lost of identity, hence evoking uncertainty. This is because the removing of subject is irreversible and incontrollable. After the destruction of persona, the exposure of white space conveys emptiness, which very much reminds me of a facebook event supporting alzheimer's disease. I think I might look more into that campaign and find more inspirations for my Christmas project.

I also like the concept of playing with positive and negative space, as it adds a more uncanny feel to a very simple photo. I can also try testing out ways to show blank space.

Multi-Exposure to Show Differences Throughout Time

Stephanie Jung is an artist working on experimental photographies. In her works, she tries to create still images of moving scenes. She does this by working on multi-exposures of a specific location, taking several shots with the same perspective but slight diversion and difference in movements of the subjects. Her experimental methods depicts the similarity and polarity of a location. The similarity comes from the stable, unchanging still objects, such as buildings; meanwhile, movements of cars and people forms a discrepancy within time.

The choice of subjects defines the still images a lot. Since Stephanie Jung chose to work on busy metropolis, the alike and dislike within time is greatly blown up, due to the contrasting characteristics of still buildings and moving people.

What I find successful in the artist's work is the direct comparison of a location through time. Even by the slightest time gap, discrepancy is still formed. The way how Stephanie Jung displays these elements within a frame effectively brings out an uncanny feeling to the metropolis and guides the audience to think more about the passing of time.

In my project, I'd also like to see how time could change my memories on a familiar place of mine, which is my home. One of my initial plans was to paint a scene of my home from scratch, and compare it with an actual photo taken after finishing the painting. To show the alikes, or dislikes, merging them and controlling the transparency of the layers might be a method I could try on. 

Primary Research II(Old footages taken by myself)

The Consequences of Taking Your Time

Bruce Nauman (Seen in Tate Modern)

To Repeat and to Destroy

This artwork are "Raw Material Washing Hands, Normal (A of A/B)" and "Raw Material Washing Hands, Normal (B of A/B)", done by Bruce Nauman. In the installation work, the videos are displayed on stacked televisions and showed how the artist had been washing his hands for nearly an hour. The artist put his focus of the camera onto his hands only, making it as if it was first person's perspective.

It's very mesmerising how the doubling of the image helps to intense the scene and also the extended repetition brings out a sense of anxiety and discomfort. I think this is because the ordinary footage was destroyed and deconstructed thought the endless repeating of washing hands. This distorts the general concept of seeing the footage as an everyday routine. Hence, the audience will psychologically feel like the normal action becomes very unfamiliar and induces a sense of discomfort.

I think that this is a very useful methodology in terms of inducing a sense of strangeness and ominous mood. I realised how effective it is to distort an ordinary footage through exaggerating certain features within, not just through repeating, but it could also be done by cropping and zooming in, or through the editing of tones. When a feature is overly emphasised, it can enhance more complex feelings. I will try to adapt this idea on distorting a regular scene into something creepy and unfamiliar. I think that in this case, the horror portrayed from the outcome might have been more effective than purposely inducing horror. In my project in this case, I can start off with regular food sources and objects, and probably try to correct the mood through editing or photoshopping the photographs.

External Force Towards the Outcome

The Dad Directives is a series of photography by Barry Sykes. In this collection, the artist gives instructions to his dad, for instance 'Hi Dad, Take a photograph of a photograph you wish you had taken'. The artist tries to set rules and orders to a specific person, hence the outcomes will have lots of possibilities. This is due to the transfer of authorship of the artist to his dad, giving certain space for the person to create a piece. The external force within the project brings uncertainty and also emphasises the relationship of the artist and the creator.

While I was working on my project, I realised that playing with the telephone game with myself is too controlled and predictable in a way, the work doesn't encourage me to allow more external changes to happen. I've hence decided to slightly change my approach and ask my friends to do the conversion. Knowing my friends are horrible and will try to ruin my project (and career), I've planned not to leave so much authorship to them. Instead of asking them to create an outcome and further transfer it to another person, I will prefer trying to ask them to look at/listen to the outcomes and come up with around 5 keywords for me to move forward on. This is because too much uncertainties will bring trouble in continuing the telephone game (as my friends are mostly involved in other subjects).

Chosen Clip (Taken Near London Bridge) (Click to See the Video)

Starting Point Visual Source

I've decided to start my project off with a very simple clip of a musician performing with a tuba that spits fire. The source was shot with a boomerang app from the phone and it repetitively loops backward and forward for a few seconds. 

The reason why I chose this footage that I've taken was because composition wise there are a lot of elements to be seen within the footage. This helps me in brainstorming keywords that are in wilder range of categories. Also, I really enjoy how the clip was absolutely meaningless and does not bring the audience to think of any deeper meanings behind. It might be challenging but effective to see how the message gradually becomes more abstract and people start to think deeper about the origin of my outcomes.

I gave myself keywords: Music, fire, movement and repetitive. Based on the appearance of the "fire", I'll try to create a repetitive sentence of some music notes. To start of easy, I can try drawing lines onto the flame and annotate the specific outlines of the flame as notes. I could also try to make good use of some programs or apps that could create melodies.

Action & Aftermath

Sign of ownership

Wim Delvoye is a neo-conceptual artist and he focuses a lot on the relationship with a body. In one of his projects, he tried apply tattoo patterns onto a series of pigs. Via tattooing, the artist seeks it as a method of labelling and it shows a sense of ownership as there is a connection between the applier and the applied object/body.

The artist provokes my thoughts on why I should apply the illusional patterns I created onto objects/body other than me. Through this action of applying, I can show a sense of influence to the surrounding and also make my stance on "tinting" the world as the way I wanted it to be. It would be nice if I could think about possible things that I could apply tattoo stickers on. I think other than applying onto other's body parts, I can also consider applying the stickers onto dead objects, as they also take part on composing my surrounding environment.

Illusions and Thoughts

The way how Yayoi Kusama conveys the world is very interesting. She mentions how she had hallucinations and sees the surrounding objects, body and the world full of dots, known as an "infinity net" to connect the world together. Through creating artworks, the artist was able to release her stress upon psychological illness. It is very nice to see how the installations and paintings she did were like "tinted" with dots, as if a personal belief and comment is applied onto something thats rather neutral.

I think how I try to reveal my illusions to the public is similar to what the artist was trying to do. The work reminds me of the Chinese idiom "to wear color spectacles", which means stereotype. However, I tend to have a positive feeling towards these patterns. I feel like it's a filtered imaginary world, hence it doesn't match the chinese idiom that i was inspired to think off. I decided to look more into idioms related and found "to wear rose tint spectacles" mean idealistic, relates to my point of view towards the pattern, since positive/idealistic, can be a so called filter to show my wants to connect different things tgt via the pattern, e.g. objects or body. I think to continue with my project, I should focus on the methodologies that emphasises the word "tinted". I could do this by applying colours onto objects/body. I could also do it by having a filtered screen, so that the tint does not occur physically.

Body Relationship with Seen Patterns

Ronit Bigal is an artist who created beautiful photographies of Biblical text being marked onto body. The body calligraphy contours the outlines of the body and since the text is so small and unrecognisable from distance, it has a very fine hypnotic effect.

It is very interesting how the text acts like a large section of tattoo on body. It emphasises the flow and curvatures of the body. I enjoy how artificial elements were applied onto natural surfaces but yet, conveying a very smooth composition despite their contrasting elements. The artists photo works inspires me to think how my illusion patterns could be applied onto the body like a script, or tattooed pattern. 

It would be very interesting to see how my patterns goes around the body. I will try to experiment on different methods of mark making, such as drawing, printing, projection mapping or just simply applying stickers.

Paul Maheke (Seen in Tenderpixel)

Pedro G. Romero (Seen in Tenderpixel)

Inspiration Exhibitions

The work was displayed on a old style television, where the personal swings the frame of the portraits and follows the tempo of the swing as he dances. Eventually after the wave of the moving frame is damped, he stops. It is an interesting approach in terms of creating a tempo, as the beat given by the swing is not sustainable and gradually changes as the persona dances. I also like how the angle for the film was shot from the corner of a room, hence giving me a feeling as if it was obtained from the cctv. This perspective engages me to think that the man in the film was unconsciously followed by someone else and his daily actions and secrets are revealed and exposed without himself knowing about it.

I enjoyed the concept of revealing a secret and I think it would be great if I could experiment on the perspectives when filming my outcomes. If it was shot directly in front of the camera, the feeling of the film would be seen as a record; if it was filmed diagonally, then it perceives more like a sneak peak into someone's secret. I could try both to see which method suits better with my project.

Telling stories with a life of their own (Reading)

Creating an Incident

I've read the passage on the descriptions about Francis Alys' art works. The passage mentioned few of the approach the artist tries to approach his work. I got really inspired by his concept on creating an incident instead of waiting for an event to come and occur. In order to do so, the artist tries to film himself kicking a bottle on the street, which then made him wander off to the road and got hit by a car. It really hits me in terms of how these created accidents are caused due to an interaction with the public bodies.

I also really enjoyed how the artist started off his projects with an idea, but ended up applying more and deeper concepts onto his filmed footages as he develops more. In one of the paragraph, the essay mentions how Francis Alys tries to capture how the Tehuelche people chases after a nandus bird for weeks until it dies. The project was first planned to be a simple documentation, but then afterwards, the artist realises it might have been better to see the sources he got as a striving for something that's out of reach. This paragraph really triggers me a lot as it makes me think of how I could have work on my projects. I realised that it sometimes may not be the best way to stick to the original concept of my works as it might be a form of restriction when creating outcomes. Not saying that I should always change my mind, but I can try to be more lose on my thoughts, so when working, I can give myself more freedom and space to come up with a better concept and idea for the project.

Looping Layering Images

Boopy Club is a programming website published by Andrew Bensen. It is a gif creator where the user can make use of different tools, such as pen, sprayer, web cam, etc to draw onto a digital canvas. Unlike normal painting programs, the process of mark making is recorded and loops as more and more layers are built up. The artist in an interview mentions how he is inspired by the technique of using looper pedals in music, hence he wanted to program something that would work out similarly in drawings.

I like how the program allows images to be build on top of another. It to me relates to elements existing out of time, as the looping of drawings allow these elements to be built up at the same time. I think it's quite important to see it as a moving collage, where the present combines with the past to form the actually identity, which is the so called "outcome". Without any part, the outcome would have been completely different. 

From this theory of "looper petal", I felt that it would be amusing to work my piece as a gathering of sounds in different sections through time. By doing this, the chronological timeline is being broken down, elements from the past influences with the present and this might encourage a very thought-provoking piece. I think from what I have, I'll try to create a virtual scene using my blind mark makings, but combining sections recorded from different timezones.

Mark Making Process

After doing on a critique about the recording of sounds, I got more interested in the methodology of creating marks on a piece of flat media. It reminded me of Brushology done by Lorna Crane, where she collects twigs and objects from natural sources and converted them into individual painting tools.

What I find fascinating about the brushes were the outcomes derived from them. In my understanding, I see it as a language of the object more than a tool for us to control with. The marks are affected by the chosen material, its texture and length gives a story to the lines and brings in emotions from the brush itself more than what our mind wanted it to tell.

I felt like conceptually it would have been a great way to record the sounds of the park using this methodology, but practically impossible to do so. This is because the possibility of getting varieties of sources to make the tool is low (I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be nice to crack twigs from a tree). The feasibility of painting with a brush when I am blind folded also points out another problem, where it would've caused a delay in recording of sounds due to the progress of dipping ink, swapping brushes (when I can't quite distinguish them without seeing them).

However, if I were to plan out a whole performance piece for what I wanted to do, it might be nice to make the brush from scratch, and do the mark makings all during the performance duration. But for now, I'll keep this idea archive and try to think more about it in the future.

Compulsory Passage B

Action of Recording

The passage talks about the forms of performance pieces and raises the question of whether a performance piece has to be defined as something that has really happened.

The passage and personal experience on recording my performance pieces gave me a lot of thoughts on the concept of photography and visual documentation. I personally think that when something becomes photographed, it's matter changes due to a conversion within our perceptions. The moment when there is a realisation of lens existence, the status of the whole piece becomes different. I feel like it's an interesting thought within my mind as I relate this situation with the experimentation of electrons passing through a slid. From what I was thought during physics, there is an uncertainty of the structures of electron due to its wave and particle duality. It is said that when passing through a slid, the outcomes showed that electrons act as wave or particles, depending on whether there is an "observation". The outcome when scientist tries to peep for the process of passing through differs from that without peeping. This relates very much with whether documentations of performances differs from actual performances or not. The action of "observation" leads to an alternative outcome, but it cannot be taken as somethings that's wrong or "not realistic".

Another thing I find interesting about lens based outcomes is that the level of authenticity. Despite the fact that many people tend to think lens based records are more reliable evidences than other recording methods, e.g drawing, when referencing to existing events. However, from my point of view, I believe that what is captured actually diverge from what's actually in front of the camera. To me, photography is a media that has the ability to disturb and destruct the time. This could be done as it "captures" and fabricates a moment that shouldn't be existing anymore. In a way, even though the "visual elements" seem to be what it was, what was recorded is still different from how our eye actually sees it. 

The text allowed me to have an enjoyable time thinking about the concepts behind using the camera, and I felt like in terms of the project, it brought me to consider more about what I wanted to portray when I create a piece with the photographs and sources I have: whether it would be appropriate to show what we cannot see with bare eyes, to show alternatives of the actual world or not.

Luis Lazaro Matos (Seen in Whitechapel Gallery)

Stopframe Animation

The Nomadic City of Camela(2017) is an artwork done by Luis Lazaro Matos. Its a simple stopframe animation of the city of Camela continuously walking, along with a lively music and a narration storyline of the city.

The artist's works mostly base on the concept of utopia; from how the image of the camel was repetitively displayed and meanwhile running through more and deeper information about this camel, the work builds up depth and portrays the "beauty" of this ideal city. The extreme emphasise of utopia brings in irony to the piece and leads the audience doubting about what is perfection and what is not.

For my ongoing project, I'd also like to try involving simple animation. I also realised that a work can also deliver strong message without a lot of visual concepts within the storyboard. A simple repetitive image can sometimes evoke a stronger agreement from the audience

Article on Philosophy

Ship of Theseus

I've went into research on the philosophical question, the Theseus' Paradox. It’s said that the Ship of Theseus runs for hundreds of years as people would replace the planks with new ones once they’ve found out that the pieces were rotten. eventually all planks would be replaced and the question is whether the ship is still the ship of Theseus as none of the pieces from the ship was from the original, meanwhile if using the replaced old planks to create the exact same ship, would it be called the ship of Theseus or not.

I feel like what’s interesting about the philosophy and made it possible to work as a mind provoking problem was due to its gradual transformation through time. There is a process of so called identity lost for an object and whether physical or mental existence would define a so-called object.

I really like this concept of physical and mental change. I would like to adapt this idea onto thinking about the park, how the purpose and status of the park changes, and create a site-specific work based on this. I might start off with capturing audio sounds in the park, which cannot be seen and also shows a gradual progress of time. I can try working on experiments regarding to the comparison of sounds within two periods of time. This could be a starting point for the project. 

Primary Observation II (Taken by myself)

Initial Inspirations

After doing primary observations and knowing more about the park,I find that the memorial chairs are particularly interesting to work on.

I went to do more research on memorial chairs located in UK parks, and found out that you could possibly donate to get yourself a memorial bench. Seeing how the benches were usually establish in remembrance of someones family or close friends, I think that the chair is a tool for people to psychologically extend their memory of someone important. Through the transferral of memory onto a physically existing object, it feels to give a second life to someone important in your life.

The fun fact about the chairs is that it is actually removed after 10 years, so the extension of the memory would still eventually be gone.

I find this concept to be quite inspiring and I thought that it might be nice if I were to materialise memories into solid forms and have take series of photos.

Perseverance of Memories

Sewing (2007) is an artwork created created by Lin Tianmao. It consists of a sewing machine, threads crossing through the plate and a video projected onto the thread. In the video, there is a pair of hands sewing things through the sewing machine. The hands were quite wrinkled and rough, possibly hinting that they belong to a person who works a lot with their hands. The thread and action of "sewing" demonstrates and hints the identity of persona. Since these are highly related to feminine figures, the persona would be associated as a housewife, even possibly an aged mother.

I really enjoy how the installation tries to represents a sense of past image even though it may not be physically here. Its very poetic how the artist relates childhood memories with footages. Through fixing the footages onto an actually sewing machines, and using threads to connect everything together, the artist was able to show her concept on recreating and  preserving something that was once there but lost via time.

I am drawn in by the idea of preserving a memory by sealing it into an object of space. To work on my project, the artwork inspires me to work in materials(video or audio sources) and rearrange them into an actual scene with different objects and designs of space, hoping to create a similar impression of the "home".

Damaging films

"Sunken Polas" was a collection of experimental work done by Louis Little. In this project, the artist tries to create effects with instant film papers by destructing the photos. One of this methods of doing this was to use a brick to stable the film paper under water and allow it to be soaked for weeks.

In "Sunken Polas", the artist plays with the concept of damaging. The methodology allows time to decay a captured moment and show destruction through external force. It's very interesting how the effect is seen as an outcome when destroying the instant. It relates to what I'd like to do in the way how I see my memories of "home" is being destroyed.

For further outcomes and experimentations, I can try proceeding my project with playing with different techniques of ruining and "breaking" images, and these images would possibly representing my memories on important places, objects or people.

Luke Ching (Hong Kong Artist)

Converting a space to a camera

”For now we see through a window, dimly" is a collection of photographs done by Hong Kong artist Luke Ching. Playing with the concept of camera obscura, the artist applies light sensitive paper within a dark room and seeking windows as a camera lens, insignicant details outside the room is being captured. The photos shows their uniqueness as each space carries different scenarios, but at the same time each "camera" can only capture one specific scene. Since camera obscure requires a long time for exposure, the outcomes behaves more like a slow process of accepting and adapting of environment.

What I enjoyed about the work is how everything thats very mundane is being inverted. To me, it gives me a sense that when we start to notice insignificant little things around us, its existence and characteristic will by whens expand to the point you feel unfamiliar with.

The ”For now we see through a window, dimly" encouraged me to look into ordinary scenes or objects that relates to home. It also gave me a thought on capturing the memories about "home" using time-consuming materials, to show an eventual build up of this "space".

Primary Research III(Old footages taken by myself)

Primary Research I(Old footages taken by myself)

Eija-Liisa Ahtila

Juxtaposing Voices

In Eija-Liisa Ahtila's work "Me/We, Ok, Grey", the short film attempts to show three fictional narrations consisting of rhythmic monologues. In the film, the speech seems to be not coming directly from the persona's mouth and in certain scenes, masculine voice tend to come out from a girl's body and replaces her voice.

The concept of juxtaposing voices catches my attention a lot. I enjoyed how lyrics and speeches are coming out from a body/voice that's seen as incorrect. It helps to build mystery and also uncomforted base for the film. The fact that the audio seemed to be very narrative also helped to pull the audience away from the scene. It leads us to become an observer rather than being involved in the incident. This might be a good methodology to be used when I want to restrict the audience from being too involved in an event.

I think I will try to adapt this concept into my project, especially for my 3rd outcome, which would possibly be an audio of some speech. I can think more about the choice of persona's voice, e.g. the sex, age and accent. Based on these factors, I can continue developing its relationship with the context, so that the outcome of my audio would be greatly conveying atmosphere that I'd like to show, which is somehow disturbed and unrecognised.

The Level of Distortion

The artist Jordan Clark creates series of portrait photography, where the faces of the persona is always deconstructed in the sense that it is dissected into geometric shapes and rearranged in the composition. The way that the artist distorts the photo is very inspiring, because his methodology did not attempt to include or exclude anything from the original photo, but to rearrange their positions so to give an illusion that things do not appeal what they are supposed to be anymore.

I really like how the rearrangement of the geometric shapes kind of gives a pixelated sense to the portraits, even though nothing was really recreated. It kind of fits to what I was trying to work on my 2nd outcome for my project. I really wanted to try to portray a sense of discomfort and distortion based on something that actually really normal and basic. Using a very plain composition, I think I will try to use techniques inspired by Jordan Clark, along with some experiments based on the color tones of the photo, to create a sense of distortion and creepiness without including elements that are actually horrifying.

Haroon Mirza (Seen in Zabludowicz Gallery)

Distorted Videos and Sounds

Haroon Mirza is an artist who makes wild use of digital rhythm and beats in his installations. The background beats along with his video footages highlights a sense of unconsciousness as it builds a very heavy and confusing mood. I really like how digital music were used to link all the sources together: The space, the objects and the footages. It also brings me to following the beats and trapped in the vortex of the installation.

I got really interested in working with MIDI music after visiting the exhibition in Zabludowics Gallery. In my project "The Consequences of Taking Your Time", I will try to convert my boomerang clip to an audio work. I think I can consider creating a melody piece. This is because I have some some knowledge on composing and playing music, and I also had some experience on writing melodies using programs and apps. Since I wanted to distort my clip, I can try to compose music via outlining the specific images into music notes and then converting them into melody pieces. In this case, the music that I've made would be remote from what is seen in the original clip. When choosing the instrument sounds, I can also try to work on something that sounds more digital, perhaps, e.g. synthesiser and electrical drum set.

Gradual Transition of Work

Francis Alys's work "The Last Clown" is an installation consisting of series of drawings, paintings and a short looping animation of the persona encountering a dog and had a fall. The installation aims to show how the artist started off with a concept and tried out different methods of displaying it to the audience. The storyline started off with a simple incident of the artist's friend falling on the street, where he began to think how the fall represents a sense of joke and laughter. 

I got really inspired via the artist's continuous change and improvements to the work. The change in medium and composition helps to slowly develop a storyboard to the piece and gradually made the work richer and visually interesting to see. This action reminds me of the telephone game (known as Chinese Whisper) we used to play in a team. When bringing on to develop the message, the property of the message also slightly distorts until another new context was formed.

I wanted to try to bring this progress to a more exaggerated state, where I start off with a simple image/clip, and to play the telephone game with myself until the outcomes more towards the final becomes totally unrelated to the original piece.

Symbolism of Objects on Bodies

"Unicorn" is a photography of the artist wearing a set of props that she made. The prop resembles the body parts of a unicorn and demonstrates a symbolisation of purity and innocence. The way how she stands in the middle of the yields and wears the piece portrays an unrealistic realistic scene, which kind of hints the possibility of absolute purity.

I think it is quite interesting to see how the artist made good use of objects on body. I really like how the prop acts as a cover to the skin, where to me, it resembles a kind of camouflage to cover imperfections on a body. This is something that I can consider about in my project. I can make good use of the concept of applying and covering the body, and make this action to represent the fixing or improving the surrounding elements.

Chamber - Dark Room Experience (Seen in Zabludowicz Gallery)

Inspiration in Hallucinatory effects

The artist Haroon Mirza created a work called Chamber. The work is a dark, muted room with only 1 red laser spot. When I visited the gallery, I was invited to experience 5 minutes inside this isolated room. The experience was supposed to be experimental about how the laser could be shown in wave or particles form. However, I gained something completely different from that and became more of a self-reflection and visual/audio transformation time.

When I was alone in the room, I had a lot of thoughts happening in the short period of time. At first, the absolute nothing reminds me of life and death. It drives me to a situation where I felt like the nothingness might be what I'll be facing after death. After the first 2 minutes past by, since I was not used to the complete isolation, I started to have illusional sights/hearings. Looking at the laser helped me in grabbing onto the focus, which made the isolation less painful, but the hallucination still bugged me til I leave.

I think that this is a very unique experience. This is because it reminds me of some of the acts I tend not to tell be in the past. Seeing illusional sights was something that has been accompanying me through out my childhood. To me, these illusional sights are like filters that doesn't effect what I actually see. The experience gave me an interesting start to think about working with these sights. It would be nice to see how filters reacts/collaborates with my own body or other people.

Sarah Lucas (Seen in National Portrait Gallery)

How Composition Conveys Atmosphere

I've visited the National Portrait Gallery and saw Sarah Lucas' work "Self Portrait with Skull". In terms of the composition and effect, I think it brings a really strong effect to the audience due to the symmetrical form created by the persona and the object. The posture of the artist conveys a wild feeling, where she tries to make the stereotypical gender type less distinctive.

I enjoyed how the artist makes good use of objects in her composition to bring out the atmosphere. The including of the skull highlights the ominous mood and kind of brings out a serious tone of the artist. After looking into more of Sarah Lucas' other self-portraits, I think I can adapt some of the techniques that she've used, such as showing the engagement of herself with the highlighted objects. If I try to use probs in my project, I can consider the relationship between me and the objects to persuade the audience.

Effect of Adult's Act upon Children's Thoughts

Francis Alys worked on a series of video about children's game. One of the videos (Children's Play 15 in specific), the children were playing war games around an abandoned house. According to the caption, it was filmed at the Juarez City, which was known as one of the most dangerous cities in Mexico. The location and type of game shows a great juxtaposition with respect to the character of a child. In the film, the children were innocently playing something they see as "interesting" and "fun". The wilderness of these young kids reminds me of how crucial the world is, because these children were able to get involved with knowing a lot about wars and violence at a young age, this is most probably because they were being affected by the grown up surrounding and adult's attitude. 

Francis Alys's video kind of made me in think about the actions of children. It's interesting how children's action differs from the adult's world but at the same time, from their thoughts and words, you can determine the surrounding factors of this person. The artist's videos pushes me to try starting off my project with the observations of children in public, or I can also try to recall some of the actions that I enjoyed doing as a kid but would be seen strange as a grown up. To start off with my project, I think I will try to observe and pay more attention to my surroundings.